Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mason's Story

Sunday evening as I was typing my last post, the boys were out playing in the yard. Easton came in yelling that Mason was hurt. Justin ran out and found that he had fallen off some huge rocks in our yard. He was complaining of his arm hurting. We cuddled with him, and held him, but he kept cry. Mason isn't one to just cry, especially over pain. I knew his arm was hurt, I just wasn't sure as to how bad. Grandma found a wrap and wrapped it for him and put it in a sling. That seemed to help. It did take a lot of convincing to get him to move his fingers or his arm at all. We put him to bed, and he went to sleep super fast. About an hour later, Justin took the wrap off and he woke up screaming. I tried to rock him, and get him to take some Tylenol. All he could do was scream! So we headed to the ER at 10:30 p.m....

I guess the good thing about going so late, is that there aren't many people there. They took us right back and did an X-Ray. He was being so brave. I could tell he was really in a lot of pain every time anyone touched his arm or he had to move it. All Mason kept saying was, "I really miss Easton. I wish he were here."

The X-Ray results came back and he fractured his arm, just above the wrist. The doctor commented to him Mason that it will probably "slow him down for a while." After the doctor left Mason turned to me and said, "Mom, that means I'm not going to be able to run as fast." :(

They put a temporary cast on his arm, and he will get a real cast next Tuesday. Here he is in the ER watching movies on the Ipod.
I ended up taking the next day off to stay home with him. We were super tired from not getting home until 2 in the morning. Mason slept late, then we took Easton to school, ran to my work to finish sub plans, and then came home and relaxed. I caught Mason running back and forth in the living room. I watched as he sat in the middle of the floor and huge tears ran down his cheeks. I asked what was wrong and he told me, "This does slow me down. I can't run as fast. :(" I tried to explain that she meant he couldn't do as much stuff, but he insists it affects his running.
Justin had his FFA banquet so after Easton got done at school we headed to Price. Mase was tired again, and was complaining of the light. He came up with this to help block out the light. Mason sporting his temporary cast.
Today he has been really down, and sad. He has figured out he can't drink out of a regular size cups because his one hand isn't big enough- he needs to use two hands, he can't unbutton and pull his pants down, he can't play the leapster or DS, and a lot of other things. He keeps asking me to take the cast off, but he can't. I sure feel bad for the little guy!

3 comments:

Scottie and Tasha said...

Poor Mason!!! That is so sad- I hope he gets that cast off soon so he can run super fast again :)

The Nielsen's said...

Very sad, but I can't help but laugh that he thinks his running has slowed down. The things kids think of...

I hope he gets feeling better soon. That's a bummer to start off the summer that way. Hopefully it won't slow him down too much... haha.

family said...

Poor kid! Maybe he'll get really good at using his other hand though and when the cast comes off he'll be able to play the DS twice as fast, ha, ha.